7 UX Design Guidelines for a Successful On-Demand App
The on-demand app is all about user experience (UX).
Have you ever thought what makes all these on demand apps successful?
“The demand of on-demand apps” is the answer.
And, you might be thinking where people get ideas from of such on-demand apps. Actually, the success of the on-demand app is not just the idea. Because there are millions of startups working on on-demand apps. But, we know only a few ones, right?
Because of the user experience (UX) it offers.
You have loved the way Uber has made everything so simple in its app.
You have loved the way you can see an ample amount of videos that you like on Netflix.
You have loved the way you can book your travel with Airbnb.
So, yes- the app idea does matter a lot, but the thing that matters the most behind the success of the on-demand apps is- the user experience (UX).
So, let’s go through the UX design guidelines that can make your on-demand app successful.
1. Brainstorm Different UX factors
User experience (UX) is something that needs a deep research.
Before moving on to researching what all UX factors you should have in your on-demand app, you need to document your app idea and add different buyer personas. Everything from why a person would use your app to why a person should not uninstall your app should be documented well.
This document will help your entire team to think of UX factors limiting to your users’ needs.
Think a lot here
- What are the user needs that would switch them to download your on-demand app?
- What all functionalities would ease their search of your on-demand service app?
- How would people become addicted to your on-demand app?
- Do they need tracking functionalities?
- Do they need their personal profiles?
- Do they need social media network connections?
- And, much more related to that
Based on the answers of the above questions, you can work on considering various UX factors before finalizing it-
- Your on-demand app should be useful
- Your on-demand app should be able to fulfill the actual requirement of your users’ needs
- Your on-demand app should be easily accessible to the users and even everything in the app should be easily findable
- Your on-demand app should be able to gather trust from the users because that will allow your app to be successful
- Your on-demand service app should be able to invoke the desire of the users use it
Create a list of those UX factors and add it to your documentation of your on-demand app.
2. Analyze your competitors
Once, you are done with brainstorming your ideas on UX, you need to work hard on analyzing your competitors as well.
A research never ends without a competitive analysis.
Open all the app stores- Android, iOS, Windows, Blackberry and whatever you feel right.
And, start checking out the following:
- Do you have any competitors on any of the app stores?
- If yes, how many of your competitors exist in each of the app stores?
- How many of them are common across all the platforms?
- How have they designed UI and UX both?
- How many functionalities are there?
- What their users are saying about them on the app stores?
Based on all the analysis that you do of your competitors’ on-demand app, you can know all these for sure-
- What are the UX features that your users would not like?
- What are the UX factors that your users would love?
- What all are the things that need improvements in UX, which you can implement in your on-demand service app?
- What are the UX features that are a waste of time and energy for both- you and your users?
All these will help you bring, the better UX version of your competitor’s on-demand apps that will make it a success.
3. Look at Other On Demand Apps
You should not stop researching and analyzing once you are done with your own research and competitive analysis.
The success of an on-demand also relies on user experience that people enjoy even on different kind of on-demand service apps.
What all things people find it useful, usable, findable, credible and desirable?
But, you would be wondering why to look at other on-demand apps because the audience needs differ in theirs and in yours.
That’s absolutely right!
But, you would definitely find the key UX factors that make their users not go anywhere else except those on-demand apps.
So, if you need to make your on-demand service app successful, even you need to bring the user experience that no other upcoming competitor of yours could bring it.
4. Work Hard on Designing a Complete Workflow
The user experience (UX) defines how a user will experience his/her entire journey within your on-demand app.
So, right from the landing on the first page of your on-demand app to completing an order on your on-demand app should be mesmerizing for the users.
Almost each of the well known on-demand apps has designed their workflow very effective and that is the reason why they have such a huge user base.
Don’t settle for a better UX workflow, when you have an opportunity to serve the BEST.
So, what all things need to be considered while designing a complete UX workflow?
- What shall a user want to do when they first land on the on-demand app’s homepage?
- What would be the next steps?
- Would they need any assistance in-between the steps to complete an order?
- How would you place those assistance in between the steps?
- Do you think anything can distract them from finishing an order?
- Do you think anything can ensure that they finish their order successfully?
- How would they be notified with their order placements?
- What would be the ending page/thank you page/successful order placement page look like?
- Is there any opportunity to cross sell your products in between or at the end of the transaction?
You will get most of your answers on how to design your entire UX workflow from the above questions.
5. Ensure Your User Interface (UI) is Engaging
User interface (UI) equally contributes to offering the BEST user experience (UX).
User interface (UI) is something that defines how your users would interact with your on-demand app.
User interface (UI) is all about what your users see on the screen of your on-demand apps. Buttons, fonts, graphics, icons, and everything that contains visual elements are considered into the user interface of the on-demand app.
What all things you need to consider to make your user interface engaging?
- The font style, size and color
- The spacing between letters and sentences
- The images used on the screens in the entire on-demand app workflow
- The design of the various icons on screen
- The number of buttons, their size and style
- The look and feel of the menu, screen sizes and colors
Just like the way you keep your UI a pixel-perfect one for your other mobile apps, the same you need to work on for your on-demand apps.
6. Involve Most Common UX Features
You know Uber, right?
Now, everything around an on-demand app is called, “Uber for X”. This means, “Uber for salon”, “Uber for laundry”, “Uber for food delivery”, and much more similar like that.
And, why is it called like that?
Because everything right from the app idea to delivering the services are exactly the same. Only the service type is different. It includes all the features that Uber has and the cars are replaced by the something else.
So, if there is an Uber for salon, then the stylists are tracked, if there is Uber for food delivery, then the delivery boys are tracked. So, the functions remain the same. The things that gets changed are:
- The process how it has been fulfilled
- The initiation of the selection of services
- The end of the transactions
So, if you are having something similar to what people are already using it effectively, you should consider utilizing it in your on-demand app. But, you should also give a thought on whether that would be useful for your users or not.
Even copying and pasting needs smartness. #TipOfTheDay
7. Automate for Personalized UX
Nowadays, people love personalization.
Instagram introduced IGTV and within it, there is a new tab, “FOR YOU”.
On YouTube, you will always find videos based on your recent search and already watched videos.
And, this should also go in your on-demand app as well.
Based on their recent order, you can personalize the suggestions for your on-demand app. If your on-demand app is of salon services, you shall go ahead with offering personalized feed on the homepage of the app with, “Suggested Services for You”. This feed shall have the services related to what the user has already utilized or searched for.
The same goes with the any other type of services that your on-demand app is offering.
But, make sure you automate the entire process of personalization.
Personalization improves user experience (UX) and automation improves the speed and efficiency.
Design the UX Effectively
On-demand apps have a great potential to become successful. But, the success completely depends on how you offer the user experience. Design the entire UX in a way that not just improves the downloads, but even help you raise funds as well.
Did you find these UX design guidelines useful? Share your love on your social media.